Wednesday 14 May 2008

Jersey Grovel awards 2008

Nominations are now needed for the annual Jersey Grovel Awards 2008.

These are awarded for the best example of groveling, fawning, sycophancy in a Jersey politician.

I'm starting the ball rolling by suggesting Deputy Andrew David Lewis, Deputy of St John. And due for election this November...

To set the scene, this takes place after the disasters of the Newsnight with Jeremy Paxman, and the fiasco of a press conference at St Martin's Public Hall. Not exactly Frank Walker's shining moments of glory, unless that is, you listen to what Mr Lewis had to say on the matter:

From the Jersey Hansard:

The Deputy of St. John:

Could I first begin by congratulating the Chief Minister on the superb way he has dealt with the media frenzy in the last couple of days. Will he be taking exception with the B.B.C. (British Broadcasting Corporation) over the technique that Jeremy Paxman used last night - the very biased technique he used - in interviewing the Chief Minister last night? Will he be taking this up with the B.B.C.?

Senator F.H. Walker:

Prior to the Newsnight interview, I have already taken up concerns with the B.B.C. that cameras were running when I was not told that that would be the case, and that breaches one of the basic ethics of the B.B.C. as I understand it. I have not yet decided whether I will be taking another complaint forward on the facts that Mr. Paxman totally misquoted me with his opening question and then refused to accept my answers to those questions. Whether or not I do that is a matter for some consideration. I fear that if I do I will make little progress in any event, but that is not necessarily a reason for not doing so.

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/documents/hansard/44514-31776-1232008.htm

No comments: