Thursday 3 July 2008

Chesterton on Democracy

"The Council of Ministers could have been forced to resign. Frank Walker could have had his knuckles sharply wrapped. But, hey, this is Jerseyland, folks, so a lot of talk, but nothing happened. No change." - BBC Radio Jersey Presenter, Thursday morning, 7.10 am.

With the recent vote in the States, Voice for Children said: "It has been a very sad day in our political history. I will re produce below an e-mail I sent to my 3 'representatives' where I asked them how many Parishioners they had been in touch with before making this HISTORIC vote for them and how I would like them to vote. Are we really, as the establishment and local media would have us believe, living in a true democracy?"

http://voiceforchildren.blogspot.com/2008/07/representing-public.html

But what is a democracy, and how does a "representative democracy" work?

This letter was written by G.K. Chesterton nearly a hundred years ago, and he was debating with another correspondent on what representative democracy actually means and whether it existed in the government of his day. Reading it, I was struck by how much it could equally apply to Jersey!

1) I say a democracy means a State where the citizens first desire something and then get it. That is surely simple.

(2) I say that where this is deflected by the disadvantage of representation, it means that the citizens desire a thing and tell the representatives to get it. I trust I make myself clear.

(3) The representatives, in order to get it at all, must have some control over detail; but the design must come from popular desire. Have we got that down?

(4) You, I understand, hold that English M. P.s today do thus obey the public in design, varying only in detail. That is a quite clear contention.

(5) I say they don't. Tell me if I am getting too abstruse.

(6) I say our representatives accept designs and desires almost entirely from the Cabinet class above them; and practically not at all from the constituents below them. I say the people does not wield a Parliament which
wields a Cabinet. I say the Cabinet bullies a timid Parliament which bullies a bewildered people. Is that plain?

7) If you ask why the people endure and play this game, I say they play it as they would play the official games of any despotism or aristocracy. The average Englishman puts his cross on a ballot-paper as he takes off his hat to the King--and would take it off if there were no ballot-papers. There is no democracy in the business. Is that definite?

No comments: