Saturday 24 January 2015

Socks












Socks was the theme for the week in a Poetry group I belong to, so here is my contribution. Please note the photo above is by way of illustration, and those are neither my socks nor my feet! It was a chance to do a more humorous poem, and I hope you like it.

Socks


Never a matching pair, I exclaim
But who on earth should I blame?
It is Gremlins, said my Uncle Sam,
Ones who eat green eggs and ham;
A space warp swallows them said
My sister, searching beneath her bed
The Twilight Zone, Rod Serling says,
By a mysterious stranger, wearing Fez;
But go they do, one sock stays still:
The other vanished, for good or ill;
And so unmatched, all in a heap,
Should I throw out, or should I keep,
Perchance I find another pile?
I keep on hoping all the while!
Does God exist? a question bold
But I’d prefer to just be told
Where all my socks go every day,
And how they vanish swift away;
A quantum puzzle, like that cat
Schrödinger’s socks, I quite like that!
In the drawers, place a pair:
But look, and one is never there!

No comments: