Saturday 25 July 2015

Shadow on the Stone















This is inspired both by the Earthsea stories of Ursula Le Guin (especially A Wizard of Earthsea) and a walk this evening around La Pulente headland and to La Sergente dolmen.

Shadow on the Stone

On Roke Knoll, I stood, just time to be
As out I looked to the Inland Sea
Master Windkey kept the water calm
The setting sun was evening balm
Scent of the heather, sweet to me
And the low tide, rock lapping sea
The islands nearby, the sea so blue
High above the sparrow hawk flew
And over the rocks, the causeway bare
The path to the Isolate Tower was there
Names of Names, the lists to learn
A portion of magic to find and earn
And I raised my staff, and turn around
And made my way to the sacred ground
The stones in a circle, from Segoy’s word
The time of making as his voice is heard
And I see the shadow upon the stone
Even though the sun has set, I am alone
For a candle to shine, there must be light
And a shadow falling across my sight
I reach and touch, and the spell is done
And I greet my shadow, and I am one


No comments: