Tuesday 22 August 2017

Fun With Intelligence Tests 2













These come from an extremely old compendium of games that I've had for many years. I've hidden the answers on another blog page - there's a link at the bottom of this one.

Fun With Intelligence Tests 2

HAVE you ever tried any Intelligence Tests? Here are some to play with. No doubt you are an intelligent person, but what sort of intelligent person are you? Are you quick in the uptake?

Can you reason? Can you perceive what is relevant and what irrelevant? Have you a sense of logic? Here is your chance to find out.

TEST YOUR MENTAL QUICKNESS















RACHEL

A DELIGHTFUL and wholly unexpected thing happened to me the other day. It happened in this way.

Walking down Regent Street, I heard someone say: " Good heavens ! There's old Puffin !

" Hullo, hullo, hullo, little girl ! And what is your name ? "

I turned round. It was an old Oxford friend of mine. We had not met, nor heard anything of one another, for over twenty years.

Naturally we stopped and exchanged our news. " I'm married," my friend said. " Are you? And have you any family? This is my youngest daughter."

I shook hands with the child-a solemn, self-possessed little thing, I should judge about eight years old.

" And what is your name? " I asked her.

" Rachel."

" Rachel," said I. " That is nice ! The same name as your mother's."

Now how did I know that ?


RACING TIMES

" LET'S HAVE a bicycle race," suggested Walter to Dick.

" Good idea," said Dick. " Except, of course, that we've only the one bicycle."

"I know," said Walter.. "But I've thought out a plan for getting round that difficulty. The road between Fairfield and Stonehurst is perfectly level, and it has a good surface all the way. Moreover there are milestones all the way along. So I suggest that one of us should ride the bike from-say-the first milestone to the fifth ; the other from the fifth milestone to the tenth. Then we'll take our respective times with a stop-watch."

" Okay," said Dick.

The " race ", however, was a failure. Can you detect the flaw in Walter's plan ?













Potted Personalities

RHYMED clues are given to the identity of famous men and women.

This Dictator began
His career as a " Parliament man
But the " Rump "
Gave him the hump.

Though not a success with his cakes
(He landed himself " in the gravy ")
As King, he made few mistakes-
And he founded the British navy !

In his garden, a falling apple
Attracted the notice of a mathematician,.
And he sat him down to grapple
With the cosmic force that keeps things in position.

Among English kings, Richard the Second
One of the least glorious is reckoned ;
He received an unpleasant jolt
From the leader of a Peasants' Revolt.

A workhouse boy escaped the " horrid grind "
Of poverty. He did some great things. E.g.
He went to a " dark continent " to find
A living stone ; and found him-at Ujiji.

Answers at:
http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2017/08/answers-2.html




No comments: