Saturday 21 April 2018

Sorrow Song












Rather tired this week, so I'm taking a poem from my "back catalogue". This is from the 8th May 2005.

Sorrow Song

I heard a voice crying, and it said sing
Sad music to tell of the sorrow I bring,
Song of sorrow, full of sadness, tears
Of our life, of seventy or eighty years;
If strong, yet full of troubles, sorrow,
Life is soon over, gone the morrow,
Laughter may hide sadness, and so
When happiness is gone, left sorrow.
And I ask, how long must I endure
How long is there trouble, no cure?
But sorrow fills my heart both day
And night. How long, must I say
I have nothing but sorrow to eat?
A large cup of tears bittersweet,
For my sorrow cannot be healed;
I am sick at heart, but concealed
In exhaustion, and silent weeping,
Shortens my life, my heart beating
But weak, bones wasting away:
An exile of laments, time to pray,
As my heart breaks, and a wave
Of sorrow over my soul, I rave
As chaos comes as flood roaring,
And sorrow cascades thundering
Like waterfalls upon the Jordan;
So watch with me, for my lifespan,
That I may in your presence belong
For your love is so sure and strong
Then you will surely remove the cloud
Of sorrow hanging over like a shroud;
The time for sorrow and for mourning
Will be over, instead joy and dancing;
You will comfort all who sorrow still
And turn mourning into joy, your will
For happiness, dance, a time to rejoice
Sorrow into gladness is then our choice;
Those who trust in you, will surely find
Their strength renewed, not here to bind,
But to rise on wings like eagles, so rising
To be free from sorrow, end of grieving;
Now we sing the sorrow song in which
An exchange is made, no magic witch,
But deeper magic comes from beyond
A promise of light coming, of a bond
Between you and us, and joyful song
Of promised land where we belong.

No comments: